Monday, January 9, 2012

Spring Semester: Day One

Even though I only had two classes on Mondays, it still felt like a very long day. 

My first class was at one in the afternoon so this morning I lounged around for a few hours (mostly on Facebook) before I left. I needed to go to a store to replace a wallet my dog had chewed to pieces. After this, I went to my math class.

Which was a nightmare.

I'm the kind of person who needs to see how to learn something new. With math, I can't sit down with the textbook and figure everything out. I need guidance and instruction from a professor. 

This math class was not meant for me. It's called Hybrid Math 1010. Two days of the week, the class is held in a computer lab where each student sits in front of a computer and does all the math homework online. Every student is on a different section because everyone works at a different space. Of course, there is a professor there to answer the occasional question. Two other days of the week, there is a lecture class. However, the lecture wouldn't be beneficial because everyone is at a different place in their math book.

Needless to say, I was stressed. I don't even think stressed is the right word to use. The professor even admitted hybrid classes are most likely to make students fail. That's not what I need right now.

And the best part about this story is, only two people out of a class of thirty knew it was a hybrid class. These two people only guessed it was a hybrid class because they knew the classroom was a computer lab. No one else knew about it. We all thought it was a regular math class. One man even talked back to the professor saying he thought he had signed up for a regular math class on Mondays and Wednesdays (which I thought I had signed up for as well...I just didn't get angry).

After a nightmarish math class, I had English. English is usually something I enjoy but I have a few worries about this one. It's mostly research writing. I have a very difficult time writing research papers. I mostly write stories, poems, or my thoughts on this blog. The good thing is she is a very nice person and from what my professor said today, it seems as if she has the same learning views as I have. She is also very willing to meet with each student several times just to help them succeed.

Tonight, I feel much better about life. I have dropped that math class and signed up for a "student success in college" class. This summer, I'll have to take a regular math class. Honestly, it might work best for me to have only one class to focus on. Maybe, just maybe, I'll end up getting a good grade in math.

Tomorrow, I'm not going to be stressed out. I'm going to enjoy my day and I'm going to see a good friend. Tomorrow will be a good day because it isn't going to be Monday.

No comments: