Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Awkward

Do you ever go somewhere or do something but instantly regret it because it turns into an awkward situation?

Last night, I walked out of my room after doing some homework to get something to eat. My roommate was in the kitchen as well and we were talking which was fine and fun.

But then her boyfriend walked out of her room. Slightly awkward. I didn't know what to do as they made googly-eyes at each other. I couldn't just leave because they would occasionally bring me into their little world. I was also in the middle of getting myself dinner. Lucky for me, they left the apartment soon after.

Earlier today, I was sitting at a table reading a textbook when a random guy suddenly appears above me and says, "Bioooology?" In a really weird voice. I look at him and say, "Um...Geology." He nods and walks off.
Awkward.

Only a few moments ago I had yet another awkward moment. But in order for you to understand this awkward moment, I have to give a little side story.

Last summer, I met a guy who...is interesting to say the least. Not only did he put me down for my choice of major (elementary education) but he made fun of a friend of mine because of where she worked. During the rest of the summer, I would go to church activities where this particular guy would constantly stare at me and then leave right before class started. Not normal, right? Then one day, as I was leaving a church activity, this particular guy was staring into my car. Yeah, not normal.
And then he says, "You can tell a lot about a person by the stuff in their car." Yup, not normal.

I haven't seen this person for a while, or even talked to him...until today, which brings us to awkward situation number three.

So here I am, reading an article for my English class when I hear knocking on my table. I look up and see...this particular person. I don't want to be rude so we have a mini conversation which includes him telling me how early he gets up in the morning (4 am) and how he sliced his fingers open today in his auto class. Even though we were having a normal-ish conversation, It felt unbelievably awkward. 

But if we didn't have awkward situations, we wouldn't have anything to laugh at. So instead of viewing awkward situations as a bad thing, I can look at it as something I can laugh at later on.

"Whenever there is an awkward moment, somebody in the world is thinking about Abraham Lincoln wearing a pink tutu." 

No comments: