Saturday, November 19, 2011

Wintertime

Christmas songs are finally beginning to ring true. "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." It started snowing today while I was at work and it hasn't stopped yet. Piles of pure white fluff is covering yards, streets, sidewalks, and homes. It's beautiful, like something you would see in a Thomas Kinkade painting.

The snowflakes are huge, like marshmallows. It makes me wonder how every snowflake can be unique when they all look the same.

When snow falls, everything is hushed. However, it isn't an unsettling quiet, it's peaceful. I can sit on a couch wrapped up in a fuzzy blanket for hours listening to the quiet and watching the snow fall. Nighttime is the best for this. All the snow remains untouched by footprints, car tire tracks, and dirt. It only adds to the calm.

In a few hours, the sun will rise and the world will be sparkling white. It will be so white, it almost hurts your eyes just to look at it. Everything sparkles, but not like obnoxious glitter. It's a gentle sparkle, a kind of sparkle that makes you think of diamonds. Sometimes, I almost believe there are millions of diamonds reflecting the sun's light instead of billions of tiny ice crystals glistening in the sunshine.

Tomorrow, the fun begins. Children will be out in their front yards, all bundled up in their colorful winter coats, hats, scarves, and mittens lying in the snow to make snow angels. Others get together and help each other roll a huge snowball to begin creating a snowman. Some will even make igloos and barriers for protection from a snowball fight.

I realized I haven't made a snow angel or a snowman in a very long time. Snow angels were always my favorite. I loved falling backwards into the snow, unable to feel the cold through my coat. Instead, I could feel the soft cushion of the snow. And then I would move my arms and legs to make the wings of an angel. The hardest part was getting back up without ruining your artwork.

When I was little, I loved making snowmen with my dad. He was the best at making snowmen (and he still is)! For some reason, he could always make the biggest snowballs. The largest on the bottom, a slightly smaller one on top, and finally, the head, an even smaller snowball. These snowmen would tower over me and would take most of the snow in our yard. I remember running inside and asking my mom for a carrot for Mr. Snowman's nose. Then, I would find a scarf and hurry back outside. Together, we would find two rocks for the eyes, a few rocks for a smiling face, three rocks going down the middle snowball to make it appear our snowman was wearing a shirt with buttons, and finally, two long sticks for arms. I loved those times we spent together.

How could I forget sledding? How fun it is to sit on a sled and race down a tall hill, as fast as you can go? I love the wind in my face, the adrenaline rush, and the speed. Sled rides always end too soon but it's always worth it to climb back up the hill for one more ride.

Wintertime in my eyes, is completely magical. Even though the outside is cold, everywhere else is warm. Warm homes, warm beds, warm cups of hot chocolate and a comforting fire. Everything feels cozy and I'm glad that feeling is here again.

No comments: