Tuesday, November 1, 2011

First snowfall

This morning, I woke up to the sound of rain pounding against my window. The wind howled and even thunderclaps could be heard in the distance. I tried to go back to sleep but I was too excited to sleep. I wanted to see the storm brewing outdoors.

In a few hours, it began to snow. It wasn't the kind of snow that blows through the wind, never really touching ground or piling up on sidewalks. These snowflakes were large cotton ball puffs falling quickly before touching the ground.

Before we knew it, we had at least two inches of snow covering the grass, the flowers, and the trees. Most of the trees are sagging because of the weight of the snow. Technically, it's still autumn so most of the leaves are still on the trees. The leaves love to catch all the snow, making weight for the flimsy branches to hold up.

Most people I have met hate the snow. They argue that it's cold and melts in your socks. I agree. Snow is freezing and it does melt in your socks, making your toes turn into red ice cubes. But there is something magical about the snow. It is so white and it sparkles in the sunshine. I love wearing sweaters and scarves and boots outside and one of my favorite sounds is the squeaky crunch of snow beneath my feet. If snow didn't exist, there wouldn't be Snowmen or Snow Angels. There wouldn't be hills covered in glistening snow with people sledding, snowboarding, and skiing down them.

A lot of people dread the snow. But me? I look forward to it.



No comments: