Saturday, October 29, 2011

Free hot chocolate, impatient customers, just another day

Working at a gas station/food place can either be a fun experience, or a horrible day. It's either really busy, or so slow it's ridiculous. Today it was so busy I felt like I didn't have time to breathe. Before we knew it, we had 14 different orders with still more coming in. Of course, we told people it would take quite some time to get their food out, but for some, ten minutes was just too long.

The entire grill was filled with meat patties, pieces of toast, cheese, onions, mushrooms, buns, and hot dogs. The fryers were also completely filled. There are only four baskets I can work with and each basket already had multiple things in them to try to keep the line moving.

I had finally bagged an order and was about to take it to a customer when my manager walks in and says, "Don't worry about that order now. That guy left."

Seriously? What a waste of food! I glanced at the clock and noticed it had only been ten to fifteen minutes since I had taken his order. I told him it would be at least 20 minutes. I thought we were doing pretty good. Guess not.

Then it happened again. As I'm walking out to give this customer their order, my manager says, "They already left." I felt so frustrated. We had to throw that order away as well. What a waste of food.

Sometimes, while I'm working, and people complain about the time it takes to get their food out, I think, "We aren't McDonalds." When we get an order, that's when we make it. From scratch. We don't have piles of premade food lined up to be bagged. It takes time. If people want their food in two minutes or less, I think they should go to McDonalds. I don't tell customers that, but it's what I think.

On the bright side of working today, I learned I can have one free cup of hot chocolate in the size of my choice while I'm working. I'm so excited about that! Working there in the mornings is a little chilly, especially if you're in charge of running the window. It's nice to have something warm.

All in all, today has just been another day.

No comments: