Thursday, October 27, 2011

Colds

Colds. Apparently not  bundling up in the cold weather doesn't actually cause you to have a cold. But somehow I'm finding this to be false information. Yesterday, it was freezing, however, I didn't think it would be that cold. I just wore a short sleeved sweater, jeans, and boots. I froze. This morning, I woke up to a stuffy nose, little voice, sneezing, and coughing.

Lucky for me, I have "Zicam" which is supposed to make colds shorter and easier to deal with. I don't know if it will actually work, but it's better than nothing, right? Maybe if I believe it will work, it will happen. The power of your brain is amazing.

When I was little, I caught a horrible cold right around Halloween. I coughed until I threw up, I couldn't breathe through my nose, and I had no voice. School was hard because I couldn't exactly ask questions in class. I remember sitting in a math class and I raised my hand to ask a question. But no sound came out of my mouth. My teacher started pointing at things he had done on the board until I nodded to indicate, "YES! I don't understand that one!" For Halloween night, my mom made a sign for me and put it around my neck, like a necklace. The front said, "Trick-or-Treat" and if I showed people the back side of my sign, it said, "Thank You!" I should have dressed up as a mime that year, but I wore a poodle skirt instead.

Halloween is right around the corner and I'm wondering if I'll have any voice at all. I think it would be kind of funny if I didn't have a voice. Then I really could dress up as a mime. I don't know what to dress up as anyway. Of course, I won't be going Trick-or-Treating this year. I'll probably be handing out candy to little kids. But there are a few dances I would love to go to.

So maybe having a cold right now isn't such a bad thing. Maybe it could just mean I have an authentic Halloween costume.

No comments: