Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Weekend Getaway

For Mother's Day, Ryan and I went on a weekend getaway with his parents. The weather that Saturday was gorgeous! We all went for a hike. My in-laws have a home near a turtle reserve and we hoped to find a turtle. Unfortunately, we didn't. We saw cacti with beautiful flowers, birds, and what looked like chipmunks or prairie dogs (these little guys were really cute!).
Is it just me, or does this cactus look like Mickey Mouse ears?

And this picture below? Apparently this is a dead cactus but I still think it has its own unique beauty. I loved how the branches looked like a web or a net tied together. These beauties were all over the place. Some were taller than me and the roots were still firmly planted.


Ryan and I discovered this rocky place we thought made for a perfect background. These rock formations are amazing. Some even look like Nature's stairs.


During our hike, we realized this huge cloud coming our way. Needless to say, we hurried back home. An hour or so later, we experienced an amazing lightning storm!


I  know this video is only three seconds long (and I hope the video actually works) but it shows how insane the lightning was! I love storms. I noticed flashing light and I literally ran to the back deck to watch the storm unfold. And I literally ran back inside because I saw lightning strike not even a mile away. I saw sparks fly off the hill where it struck while thunder boomed before the light even faded. My father-in-law and I were both outside, cameras in hand, waiting to capture the perfect shot. Then I noticed a shimmery curtain coming closer to us and then we got pounded with rain which ended our photography session. 

We had an amazing Mother's Day weekend with family. I only wish it could have lasted longer!





No comments: