Saturday, January 7, 2012

Growing Up

Tonight, as I'm packing away my things, my younger brother (not little, he is taller than I) comes in declaring, "I have facial hair!" He is so proud of that one little hair and even told me to touch it (I told him absolutely not).

And that got me thinking. How did growing up happen? I remember when my brother and I played Tonka trucks in the dirt everyday. We also played School; I was always the teacher, he the student.

Over time, things began to change. We moved into a neighborhood populated with kids our age and we no longer played with trucks everyday. Perhaps that was when we first began to "grow up."

Now here we are. I'm packing clothes, books, pictures, and more into boxes and bags to move into an apartment. I'm starting my own adventure away from Tonka trucks. However, I'm learning how to play School as my future career. 

My brother is in the middle of his Sophomore year of high school, dating girls, working towards a driver's license, and on the high school swim team. At this moment, he's in the bathroom shaving off that one little hair on his chin that he is so proud of. 

We're both growing up. We're both learning new things and discovering who we are. But something I've realized is even if I'm 99-years-old, I'll still be learning new things and growing up.

And the best part is, I'll always have memories of my brother and I playing Tonka trucks in the backyard.

No comments: