Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The gray areas

Has anyone ever wondered why things as so complicated? Things are never "black and white" or "right or wrong." There is always that gray (grey?) area that could or could not be right. Or else it's always changing.

Even in math. You may think it's all right or wrong. Decimals and rounding aren't exactly right or wrong. It's just an estimate, "it's really this but we'll call it this instead." You know what I mean?

And writing! There is never a right or wrong which can be very frustrating! It's all about ideas and perspective. How do you deal with that? How do you know what you write will be "right" for readers out in the world? It's just a mad stab in the dark.

And in real life, things are never drawn out clearly for us. There are always different choices and they can each take us to different locations. Maybe the end product will be "right or wrong." Maybe you try drugs. Well, maybe at the time it seemed like a good idea. But there was this shady gray spot between white and black that was just uncertain (I've never done drugs by the way). I suppose when you get to the consequences you can see the right and wrong like night and day. But then even sometimes people don't know. People sometimes think what's killing them isn't bad but good! So there again, there is no right or wrong.

Or maybe there is a right or wrong but it's all a matter of perspective. What's right for you might not be right for me and the other way around.

I feel like I'm babbling non stop.

I have this little thread of thought about right and wrong and it just doesn't seem to want to translate onto paper.

Maybe I should be a philosopher someday. That whole area of work seems only to deal with the shady gray stuff between white and black. So maybe that won't work for me because I want facts, or things that can be tested, and not things that can't ever be tested.

I feel like I've ranted enough for one evening, don't you?

No comments: