Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11

  Today is September 12, the day after 9-11. I haven't had time to get on here lately. But I just wanted to share a few thoughts about that day.
  I was only 8, almost 9, on September 11, 2001. I remember waking up late for school because my mom was transfixed and horrified by the images appearing on the television screen. I looked at the screen myself and saw a great, tall, burning building. I didn't understand what was going on. I didn't even know where these buildings were located at the time. 
  My mom turned to me and said, "A plane flew into this building this morning." And even at those words, I didn't understand what was going on. How could I? I was only eight years old. But then I went to school. Everyone seemed still. Then we had a moment of silence.
  I remember realizing for the first time what this meant. I realized many people had died in a blink of an eye. I remember feeling horrified. 
  Today, ten years after that horrible day, I feel like 9-11 was an extremely personal thing that happened even though it happened across the country. I never knew anyone in those buildings, the twin towers, the Pentagon,  I never knew anyone on those four planes. And yet my heart aches for those families who lost a loved one. Even thinking about it brings tears to my eyes and I still can't believe something like this would ever, ever happen. But it did.
  I am proud to be a citizen of the United States of America. I am so grateful for the men and women who risked and lost their lives to save others that day. What I hope we can all take from this horrible day in history is to remember those who lost their lives at the hand of someone else, remember those who lost their lives saving others, and remember those who survived. 

                  We are the United States of America.

No comments: