Friday, April 1, 2011

Social Dance

You hear the word: social dance and what do you think? Dancing With the Stars, elegant dancers who know each step by heart. But I'm not the kind of person who actually enjoys social dancing.

We have recently began to learn some lifts, which are terrifying. Just imagine being the girl and being thrown up into the air and knowing there is a possibility of falling on your head, breaking your neck and ending up in the hospital. Doesn't that sound just fantastic?

Now, I've been told several times to "get over my fears" and "just do it." Guess who says that? The guys. Their necks aren't on the line here, are they? They could drop a girl but it wouldn't bug them at all because they weren't the ones crashing to the ground. There are times to get over your fears and a time when fears turn into common sense and wisdom and you shouldn't get over wisdom.

Yes, I know, lifts are a two way thing. Us girls have to be strong as well and help out the guy as best we can during the lifts. But I'm a clutz! And I have almost no upper body strength at all. I do my best to help out but sometimes my best just isn't enough.

So, why did I take a social dance class? Because I thought it would be a good experience, which it is, when we aren't doing crazy carnival-like dance moves.

The truth is, social dance is just not my thing. Dancing is totally and completely out of my comfort zone.

No comments: